Whether it be showcasing your home for sale or redecorating, knowing the right furniture measurements before you begin your project can cut downtime and can significantly make your project a lot easier.
To achieve a layout that works, a space that functions, and a stunning setup, it is best to consider the proportion of every furniture pieces coming into space versus the size of the room.
Living Room: A spacious room with a standard 8-foot ceiling may fit a wide, long, low-back sectional in a family room, while a small room with a 10 to 12-foot ceiling can carry a loveseat with a high back. Each option helps visually fill the room without overwhelming the space.
- 3 Seat Sofa – 33”H x 35”W x 72- 84”L
- Love Seat – 33”H x 35”W x 55-60”L
- Coffee table – 19”H x 20-28”W x 36-48”L
- End table – 20”H x 17”W x 28” L
Never push furniture up against the walls. By pulling your seating arrangement in, (even just a few inches), you instantly warm up space and will create a better traffic flow.
Dining Room: To be able to dine comfortably, the table should not be too high. For that reason, most dining tables are 28 to 30 inches high. Make sure you allow a minimum of 36 inches of space around your dining room table to give your chairs enough room to pull back. Nothing is worse than feeling cramped in a dining room.
Standard roundtable measurements
- To seat 4 people: 36″-44″Diameter
- To seat 4-6 people: 44″-54″Diameter
- To seat 6-8 people: 54″-72″Diameter
Standard rectangular table
- To seat 4 people: 36″W x 48″L
- To seat 4-6 people: 36″W x 60″L
- To seat 6-8 people: 36″W x 78″L
Round tables are great for small spaces. They fit in tight spaces and have no sharp corners to bump into. You can usually fit more people around it because it has no corners while rectangular-shaped dining tables work well in long, narrow rooms.
For a dining area that looks finished with a little bit of flare, top it up with a chandelier. A chandelier or a pendant lighting should hang 30-36 inches above the table. It helps define the space and makes the room pop!
Kitchen: By industry standards, the standard floor to finished counter-top height is 36 inches.
- Counter stools are standard at 24 inches.
- Bar stools are typically 30 inches.
The ergonomic rule-of-thumb is that your elbows should be bent at a 45-degree angle when your hands are resting on the counter top. If you try this and take your precise measurements, you’ll know the optimal counter height for your size.
Bedroom: The bed will take much of the space in the bedroom. That’s why getting the right size bed, in proportion to the scale of the room, is important. A mattress should be longer and wider than the amount of space you or you and your partner use to sleep. The recommended size for two adults to sleep on is a queen size bed.
- Twin size bed – 39” W x 75” L (Regular)
- Twin size bed – 39” W x 80” L (Long)
- Double bed – 54” W x 80” L
- Queen size bed – 60” W x 80” L
- Eastern king size bed – 78” W x 80” L
- California king size bed – 72” W x 82” L
- Chest of drawers – 30” W x 18” D
- Nightstand – 18” W x 18” D
A bed should be at least 25 inches off the floor, for ease and comfort, and for optimal visual impact.
Bathroom: The standard height for bathroom counter is 34 to 35 inches. If you have a built-in vanity, it should drop down to 30 inches to accommodate a regular chair. Regular chairs have a standard seat height of 17 to 19 inches.
- Standard height for sconces is 63-66 inches above the finished floor.
- Towel bar height – 48 inches from the floor.
- Towel bar height – 36 inches (kid’s bathrooms).
Remember, these measurements are meant to be a general guideline only. They are approximate, and there might be slight differences due to your space and accepted regional variances. Use them only as a starting reference point.
REDESIGN4MORE Inc. Home Staging & Interior Decorating
Toronto-based, award-winning Interior Stylist, Red Barrinuevo is an Interior Decorator and Principal of Redesign4more, servicing clients in Toronto and the GTA. The firm’s known for enhancing and creating stylish yet functional spaces through their creative home staging, interior styling, and design services.
Click here to know more about Red and REDESIGN4MORE.