Are you having your open house this weekend? Wait! Make sure your home is ‘showing ready’ before your first potential buyer steps in. Use this staging checklist from us to help you make sure you’ve got everything covered.
1. PLAN AHEAD
- Walk through each room and criticize the home from a buyer’s perspective.
- Ask a few local real estate professionals for their advice.
- Consider getting a professional home inspection to see if any repairs are needed.
- Hire a contractor to handle any major projects.
- Consider getting an appraisal to find out your current market value.
- Hold a yard sale. Sell, donate or trash anything you don’t need.
2. CLEAN, DECLUTTER, DEPERSONALIZE
- Thoroughly clean the entire home.
- Scrub tile in the kitchen and bathrooms.
- Clean hardwood floors, re-wax if necessary to make it look newer, cleaner and better.
- Steam clean carpets. Consider replacing carpet if stains are prominent.
- Remove heavy drapes and let more natural light in.
- Get rid of all dust bunnies.
- Repair cracks and holes in the walls.
- Paint interior walls with neutral colors, like light grays, cream or light pastels. Pale blues are good for bathrooms.
- Remove excess and oversized furniture.
- Rearrange furniture to maximize space.
- Organize room closets and store out-of-season clothes.
- Remove all small appliances, toys, magazines and pet items.
- Remove family photos, personal collections, and medications.
- Remove items from the garage and store them off-site.
- Secure valuable items, including cash and jewelry.
3. WORK ON YOUR CURB APPEAL
- Paint the home’s exterior, including trim, doors and shutters.
- Check front door, doorbell, address number and welcome mat.
- Power wash the siding and windows.
- Inspect the roof and make repairs as needed.
- Repair cracks in the driveway and sidewalks.
- Sweep the entryway and walkways.
- Mow, water and fertilize the lawn.
- Trim shrubs and trees and rake the leaves.
- Plant colorful flowers and shrubs.
- Store any toys or equipment lying in the yard.
- Clean up pet droppings.
- Clean the gutters and downspouts.
4. PAY ATTENTION TO KITCHEN & BATHROOMS
- Mop and wax/polish the floors (highly recommended!).
- Clear the countertops.
- Replace outdated hardware.
- Clean appliances and fixtures.
- Clean and organize the pantry, cabinets, and drawers.
- Replace old caulking around sinks and bathtubs.
- Remove stains from sinks, toilets, and bathtubs.
- Keep all toilet seat lids closed.
- Hang fresh towels.
5. APPEAL TO SENSES
- Replace busted light bulbs and install higher wattage incandescent light bulbs to brighten rooms.
- Turn on all the lights.
- Open windows to let in fresh air and let the house breath.
- Open curtains or blinds to let in natural light and show off views.
- Turn off TVs.
- Relocate pets on the day of the open house.
- Refrain from smoking in the home.
6. SHOW OFF YOUR HOME’S BEST FEATURES
- Remove rugs to show off hardwood floors.
- Pull back drapes to showcase nice views.
- Stage the front porch or deck with furniture and potted plants.
- Make sure fireplaces are in working condition.
- Clean the backyard and pool area.
7. PREPARE FOR YOUR SHOWINGS
- Hold an exclusive brokers’ open house to let local agents know your home is on the market. Offer food and refreshments.
- Inform family, friends, and neighbors of the date and time of your open house.
- Put ads in real estate publications and on social media (it’s free!).
- Put up “Open House” signs on the front lawn and at nearby intersections with directions to the house.
- Create property description sheets and prepare important documents, such as homeowner’s association rules, inspection reports, and purchase offer forms.
REDESIGN4MORE Inc. Home Staging & Interior Decorating
Red Barrinuevo is a Toronto-based, award-winning Interior Stylist and Principal Designer of Redesing4More Inc., servicing Toronto & the GTA. The firm’s known for enhancing and creating stylish yet functional spaces through their creative home staging, interior styling, and design services.
Click here to know more about Red and REDESIGN4MORE.