Balconies are always on the top of the list of “must haves” for most buyers when looking for a condo, which is a great feature to have, especially when living in the city. It is one of the most visible objects on the urban landscape that everyone who is searching the condo market fantasies about.
According to Toronto’s Condo-King, Brad Lamb, the fact is “Most people don’t use the balconies, but they insist on having them; they fantasize about what their lifestyle will be in a condo, but the reality is they come home, they turn on the TV and eat dinner, and they don’t go out there.” As a stager living in one of the buildings downtown, I found this to be true for me and for most of my clients. Balconies are often neglected and end up just being a wasted space.
However, this has got to change when it’s time to sell. Your balcony is a great feature that should be emphasized and staged to show your buyers what they can do with this often overlooked space. This is the answer to the outdoor space all buyers want to have, so stage it and win them over. Here are some tips on how to give your balcony function and a little bit of pretty —
- Look for small-scale furniture that is both comfortable and functional. A cushioned corner chair or lounge at one end of a balcony gives you a place to read a book or take a breezy nap.
- A small bistro table and two chairs tucked into another corner creates a relaxing nook for your morning tea or evening glass of wine.
- If you have the space and a suitable corner, two short storage benches or deck boxes, and a square table form a dining booth for entertaining.
- Whatever furnishings you choose, make sure your seating is comfortable. If your current chairs don’t have padding, invest in a few washable outdoor cushions. Then add some outdoor pillows and throw blankets.
- Don’t be afraid to choose bright colours and fun designs. A balcony is for relaxing and entertaining, so it should be friendly and inviting!
Even if your condo has only a teensy-postage-stamp–size balcony, play it up with furniture that fits to extend your living space (especially useful for those smaller condo units). Remove all your clutter, give your balcony a better purpose, and use every inch of your little piece of urban real estate to its fullest!
Click here for ideas and photos of some amazing condo balconies.
Red Barrinuevo | Your Toronto Home Stager