The strong smell of spices is driving the potential buyers away! The owners are so accustomed to the smell, they don’t even notice it at all. It was too strong all I can think of is to leave. Probably the reason why the buyers are missing the potential of the property.
True with other unpleasant odors such as, the smell of cigarettes, and the unpleasant smell from pets. These are serious concerns that should be addressed before putting your house on the market.
Here are 7 effective ways you can try to eliminate and neutralize unpleasant odours in your home
- Clean your house from top to bottom. This is of utmost importance. Remove all spices (curry powder, cumin, coriander, garlic powder, etc.) in the cupboards; put them away while your property is on the market. Use bleach and clean all kitchen cupboards, counter tops, and cabinets as thoroughly as possible. Most often than not, the kitchen is where the odor is coming from, so it has to be spotless. You MUST stop cooking all together (if you can) while you’re house is on the market.
- Wash all drapes, linens, seat covers, throws, and shampoo your rugs and carpets. Odor sits on fabrics all the time, washing it is the best way to get rid of the odor and to freshen it up.
- Use water and vinegar. Try using a 50/50 mixture of water and vinegar to clean, wipe everything. This is an old and proven way to eliminate and neutralize unwanted odor. It works and is inexpensive.
- Half a cup of coffee beans, in a filter, placed on top of your cupboards can help neutralize odors in the kitchen after cleaning.
- Electric air filters , air purifiers, and oil essences are another way to eliminate unwanted odors .
- Open all windows (if you can) after cleaning, and let the fresh air in. Let your house breathe. Let the fresh air circulate inside the house.
- Clean some more. Everything should start from cleaning. Your house should be impeccably clean.
When selling, what you are aiming for is for potential buyers to stay and linger in your house for them to appreciate the beauty and comfort of your home. The best way to do this is to make sure that your home smells fresh, is comfortable, and spotlessly clean.
No amount of potpourris, scented candles, baked goods, or even the most expensive air freshener can replace the smell of a clean house.