Just got my May2012 issue of House Beautiful Magazine and it features an article on 101 decorating tips from the experts. Thought I would share to you my top 12 faves.
1. Once you’ve used a fabric in a room, never use it anywhere else in the house. Do not match your fabrics! Do not let your room look to decorator-y.
2. A bench at the foot of the bed should no less than 2″ shorter than the mattress width.
3. Dining room chandeliers should hang 60″ to 66″ above the floor.
4. In displaying any collection small or large, calls for ruthless editing. Always ask yourself, “Do I love it, does it enhance my life, and can i live without it?” Restraint calms the eye and gives everything a sense of purpose.
5. Make sure you allow a minimum of 36″ of space around your dining room table to give your chairs enough room to pull back. Nothing is worse than feeling cramped in a dining room.
6. Lighting is everything. It creates atmosphere, drama, and intrigue in a room. The easiest way to accomplish this is with a dimmer switch. Always use dimmers, even in the powder room.
7. Best dog-proof covering: Cowhide. Cannot beat it, cannot hurt it.
8. Never push furniture up against the walls. By pulling your seating arrangement in, (even just a few inches), you instantly warm up a space and create flow.
9. When doing curtains or shades, take them all the way up to the ceiling – it will increase the height of the room.
10. Rugs: The bigger the better. Nothing shrinks a room faster than a “postage stamp” at the seating area. Best rule of thumb: Keep 12″ of wood around the perimeter.
11. Use the precious for everyday purposes. Put out those kept porcelain vases and crystal and use them for completely ordinary purposes – a vase can become a chic pencil holder, a crystal bowl holds make up brushes. Turn the ordinary into special moment!
12. Do not use end tables lower than 30″. The lamplight will be much better and the proportion is better. Bedside tables should be 36″ to 38″ tall.
What’s your favourite? For the full article, check out the May issue of House Beautiful magazine at housebeautiful.com.
Red Barrinuevo, President REDESIGN4MORE~ Home Staging & Design Solutions